Pacific Seacraft Orion
Projects and Upgrades
I bought Arcturus from Deaton Yacht Sales in May of 2010. I tried to do as few of upgrades as I could before I actually did some sailing trips. I wanted to determine what upgrades I wanted on board based on experience, not just book and other sailor recommendations. After my first trip down to the Keys and back and then a four and a half month trip to the Bahamas and back, I was able to finally start figuring out what additions and upgrades I wanted before heading out for good. This list could probably go on forever. Even as I look at it now, there are dozens of tiny projects that took place that would probably be really boring to read about but still took a lot of time and thought. Anyhow, this is a pretty decent sampling of some of the projects that happened on board Arcturus during the two year refit of 2013-2015. Click on any of the projects for a little more information and photos.
Pacific Seacraft made the new bowsprit and Sampson posts for me. The Pacific Seacraft factory happened to only be an hour down the road and it was so nice to be able to have the original manufacturer make these new pieces for Arcturus. Here is a photo of the first coats of epoxy.
Getting the bowsprit and especially the Sampson posts to fit was a major project. Here are a few photos of the first phases of getting the new bowsprit in position.
I need to dig up a couple of photos of the finished product but we ended up painting it white to protect the epoxy from UV damage.
This is what my new navigation panel looked like. That blank spot is where my AIS ended up.
SSB installs can be fairly tricky but we decided to go with the easiest (and I think best option) since we were doing it ourselves. We picked the ICOM M-802 as the transceiver, the KISS-SSB grounding system and the Gam Split Lead Backstay Antenna. I still need to get more proficient with the SSB but it all works well!